Shaping Our Future
How Should Higher Education Help Us
Create the Society We Want?
Minnesota Campus Compact is organizing a series of dialogues inviting campus and community members to consider different perspectives on the public purposes of higher education—advancing economic competitiveness, offering individual opportunity, and preparing people to work together to solve problems—and to identify common ground and priorities for action locally. Our goals are not only to foster new kinds of civil civic dialogue and build capacity to facilitate dialogues, but also to increase public awareness and support for campuses’ civic work. Partners in this initiative include the American Commonwealth Partnership, the Blandin Foundation, the Kettering Foundation/National Issues Forums Institute, Public Agenda, and the Travelers Foundation.
What to Expect
During the first hour, participants will discuss the three perspectives provided in the National Issue Forums guide (available, with other background materials and an introductory video, at http://www.nifi.org/issue_books/detail.aspx?catID=10&itemID=21640). After a short break, participants will identify common ground for action and discuss local priorities for collaboration. Participants may share information about current activities related to the priorities that emerge, and brainstorm ways they might build on existing strengths.
Participate in a Dialogue Near You
- Tuesday, October 9, 2:30-5:00 p.m., President’s Room, Coffman Union, University of Minnesota Twin Cities (East Bank Minneapolis campus) REGISTER NOW
- Wednesday, October 17, 7:00-9:00 p.m., Rochester Public Library, co-hosted by University of Minnesota Rochester, Winona State University Rochester, Rochester Public Library, and the Rochester Issues Forum REGISTER NOW
- Monday, October 22, 4:30-7:00 p.m., Fireside Room, Koch Commons, University of St. ThomasREGISTER NOW
- Tuesday, October 23, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Buenger Education Center, Concordia University St. PaulREGISTER NOW
- Tuesday, October 30, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Centennial Student Union, Room 284, Minnesota State University Mankato REGISTER NOW
- Wednesday, November 7, 2:30-4:30 p.m., North Hennepin Community College (Brooklyn Park)
- Monday, November 12, 6:30-8:30 p.m., University of Minnesota, Morris
- Tuesday, November 13, 6:30-9:00 p.m., Concordia College (Moorhead) REGISTER NOW
- Wednesday, November 14, (time TBD), Bemidji State University
- Thursday, November 15, 6:30-9:00 p.m., University of Minnesota Duluth REGISTER NOW
- Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 6:30-9:00 p.m., St. Cloud State University, Atwood Center (Glacier Room) REGISTER NOW