The City Trek! Equity and Transportation workshop will explore metro region land use and infrastructure examples to create a context of equity around transportation issues. Participants will experience first-hand the transportation options in the Twin Cities and consider which alternatives will serve the community best with a lens of justice for all living beings. While investigating, educators will practice and share learning strategies that can be applied in the classroom.
Throughout the day, you’ll hear from people working in the field of urban transportation and infrastructure, have a chance to ride Nice Ride bikes in downtown Minneapolis, and, after lunch, hop on the light rail and bus to meet neighborhood representatives who will discuss transit realities and changes along the Central Corridor.
Be ready for a lot of fun, problem-solving and engaging conversations as you find your way by foot, bus, bike and train through the Twin Cities. No sitting (except as you ride), no lectures, and no homework.
Investigate land use in the metro region- core and “burbs” from two perspectives:
- How can you get around the Twin Cities without a car?
- How does not having a car impede or improve job access, family, school and health?
- What is the transportation infrastructure in the Twin Cities and whose job is it to protect equity?
- What’s happening with Central Corridor issues?
- Life as part of living in a community
- Life as a commuter to work/school
- Lesson activities and resources to use with youth in the classroom
- A one-day pass for Nice Ride or for Metro Transit bus or light railIf you are unable to ride a bike, that’s okay—we promise to offer gentle options along the way and are committed to making this workshop doable for everyone.
City Trek! will be facilitated in partnership with Transit for Livable Communities (TLC) which is a nonprofit organization working to reform Minnesota’s transportation system. Through advocacy, organizing, and research, TLC promotes a balanced transportation system that encourages transit, walking, bicycling, and development with justice.
Register by Friday, April 29th to reserve your place. Take-away gifts for the first 25 registrants and for any participants that use bus, light rail, bike, bus of some combination to get to the workshop! To register, please complete the registration form below and email to Program Development Manager, Randee Edmundson, at email@example.com. Teachers can receive substitute stipends as needed and CEUs are also available.
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
You're Invited: City Trek! Equity and Transportation Workshop
As a member of the Transit for Livable Communities (TLC) Policy and Programming Committee, I'm extremely excited about the upcoming City Trek! Equity and Transportation workshop that TLC is helping to co-facilitate. On May 3, current and future Metro teachers, youth workers, education and youth outreach organizations, and more, are invited to take part in an exciting experiential workshop. Read on for more details and to see whether this Trek might be the right vehicle for you to learn about and take action on equity and transportation!