Looking for a brief autumn getaway with a purpose? Consider joining other young professionals' in Lisbon, Portugal for the Young Leaders Summit concurrent to the 2010 NATO Summit in mid-November. See details and application below for a chance to hone your diplomacy and international relations skills!
From November 19-20, 2010, Lisbon, Portugal will be the center of the transatlantic relationship as Heads of State, top diplomats, military figures, and others will convene for the 2010 NATO Summit. The Atlantic Council of the United States' Young Atlanticist Program, in partnership with the Portuguese Atlantic Commission and the Atlantic Treaty Association /Youth Atlantic Treaty Association, will be hosting a young professionals' event for the Summit, and is currently soliciting applications from exceptional candidates from all NATO and Partnership for Peace(PfP) countries, as well as Mediterranean Dialogue members.
The 2010 Young Atlanticist Summit will connect emerging leaders with one another and with Alliance leaders to discuss NATO's strategic concept and other pressing issues facing the Alliance. Those who have met with “Young Atlanticists” at previous NATO Summits include: President Barack Obama, Czech President Vaclav Havel, Turkish Prime Minister Recip Tayyip Erdogan, Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Georgian President Mikhael Saakashvili, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband, and NATO Secretaries General Lord Robertson and Jaap de Hoop Scheffer. In 2010 the organizing partners will again use their networks to arrange similar high-level meetings, where possible.
In addition to a series of high level speakers and panel discussions, participants will have opportunities to network with one another during meals and cultural events. The Young Leaders Summit will take place on November 18th - 20th in Lisbon, Portugal. Participants will arrive on November 17th, and leave on the 20th or 21st. Accommodation will be provided and allowances will be available to help cover travel cost.
We are currently seeking applications from exceptional young professionals, aged 22-35, and are targeting individuals who have started careers in the fields of international relations, defense/security, journalism, international business, and academia. Successful candidates will possess a strong passion for international engagement and have demonstrated leadership abilities.
To be considered for this program, interested parties should submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Young professionals who have begun a career in a related field (graduate students may also be considered);
- Between 22 and 35 years of age
- NATO or PfP country citizenship, Mediterranean Dialogue citizenship
- Past experience and/or studies relating to: security of defense policy; democratic transitions; international law; international energy policy; electoral politics; humanitarian issues; or any other fields of relevance to the transatlantic partnership.
- Working knowledge of English
- A willingness to provide running commentary of the summit via blog and video blog
- An interest in long-term engagement with peers on issues pertaining to transatlantic relations
- Applicants who have previously participated in a Young Atlanticist Summit are not eligible to apply for this opportunity
Click here to download the application form.
- Current CV, including nationality and age;
- Application form and essays;
- One English language writing sample, no longer than 5 pages in length;
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.