I was thankful to participate in an "Art of Hosting Yourself" workshop a few weeks ago at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. It was a sunshiny summer day and with the lush foliage surrounding and deep inner reflection taking place indoors, things were in full bloom! I wanted to pass along one of the resources our facilitators, both of whom are admirers of Parker Palmer, shared with us that day.
In circle, hosted by our skilled facilitators, we worked to create a physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual space that encouraged meaningful personal renewal. Based on Parker Palmer's and the Center for Courage and Renewal's work, they used the Touchstones for Trust & Renewal to help set the tone for our day together.
- Come to the work with 100% of ourselves
- Presume welcome and extend welcome
- Believe that it's possible to emerge refreshed, surprised and less burdened than when we came
- There is always invitation, never invasion; always opportunity, never demand
- No fixing or advising
- Openness to learn from each other
- When the going gets rough, turn to wonder
- Speak for yourself
- Listen to the silence
- Observe confidentiality